Patron

Thank you to those who support me via my Paypal account: rikwrybac@yahoo.com. The government doesn't read my poetry. You do. Out of over 400 poems here on this blog by me, I hope you find one or more you like. Thank you for my readers. Thank you for your comments.

Tuesday, January 19, 2016

Fettered Democracy


We walk into the political meeting
certain we shall hear the future
certain that the trust we have
will be respected above all else

The rest of the world watches
as we lose our minds in minutia
the correct tie or poorly clipped hair
it is the first impression of democracy

Each of us climbs a mountain
as we step into the voting booth
some of us jump off the cliff
still others scratch away their warpaint

Each lever or X that's scratched
tells us that we are correct
yet when mistakes are made
we never call our decisions bad

Our brain is a dog on a leash
sniffing at the odors along a path
rabbit this way squirrel that
a phrase in the speech tugs the same


Barry G. Wick






No comments: