Patron

Thank you to those who support me via my Paypal account: rikwrybac@yahoo.com. The government doesn't read my poetry. You do. Out of over 400 poems here on this blog by me, I hope you find one or more you like. Thank you for my readers. Thank you for your comments.

Saturday, May 28, 2016

Remembrance--Memorial Day


Our young friends left us
suddenly and without fanfares,
ordered to carry
the weapons of war,
right or wrong,
into the greatest challenge
of their lives.

Now that our years
made the gray streaks
larger than we'd like,
their closest friends
on the same wasted ground
disappear into the darkness
of memory and forgiveness.

Behold our flags:
both friend and foe.
We fill the earth
with our bodies
as we tried to leave
a better world for all
in the midst of mayhem.

Charge the children
to march the same paths
in peace and friendship.
These simple requests
we silently make
as the stormy dust of ages
removes our names.


Barry G. Wick



No comments: