Shrine
Behold! This Shrine to me!
Put your hands together
As if praying to a deity
For I am something
I'm still working on, what?
But here's the Shrine anyway
It has been made
Of the rarest stone
In this country:
The Stone cut from
Mount Rushmore
Oh I'm not on the mountain
I just acquired the largest pieces
Of the rock fall
From the blasting
Think about it.
Some from Lincoln
Some from Roosevelt
Some from Jefferson
Some from Washington
Pieces
All shipped to my crew
In Iowa
It's a shame it's been wasted
All these years
Assembled into this Shrine:
Tall columns
Looking like quilts of stone,
Glue dripping to their bases.
Every 10 or 15 feet:
A squished chipmunk.
I'll have a chat with the foreman.
Oh, but this holy place
Where I'd seen all this stone
Just laying below this ugliness
As a child growing into adult
More than once a year
We'd traipse as family
With visiting, uninitiated guests
Unto the American “holy of holies”
Re-endoctrinating ourselves
In the hatred of the poor,
Marginalized, former owners
Of this destruction
Honoring ongoing destructions
Of societies everywhere else.
In the name of our god
We praised these idols
And our god shook his finger
At us saying:
“Look, I published some stones
You've read about, and well,
You're not going along
With the program, commandment-wise."
So, as long as some of this mountain
Was wasted by a racist carver
What the heck, I'll use it.
Look. Statues of great Lakota, Hunkpapa, Oglala, Miniconjou, Sans Arc, Blackfeet, Two Kettles, Brulé, Northern Cheyenne, and Arapaho
Chiefs who pincushioned Custer
And his merry band.
All surrounding this Shrine,
Where inside written in stone,
is my apology to native kids
I did not befriend in school:
Among others I rejected
As lovers.
This poem does not solve
My problem
Or THE problem.
It just states the obvious,
Among which
Are soldiers who received
The Medal of Dishonor
At the massacre
Of Wounded Knee,
Natives beaten, killed, or disrespected
By Rapid City Police,
South Dakota State Police,
Every white politician of the town,
And state including
Governors Bill fucking Janklow
And the last female mess.
There.
Now, I feel wonderfully relieved
Like a good, useless liberal.
Oh, there's a mouse-sized
Statue of Donald Trump
Carved out of buffalo patty
Coming out of his hole
In a non-conspicuous corner.
A tiny sign announcing
His presence:
“Here comes the Coward”
And everything the Epstein files
Have to say
On a flash drive jammed
In his tiny mouth.
Barry G. Wick
https://agereasonmistake.blodspot.com
Paypal: rikwrybac@yahoo.com
No comments:
Post a Comment