Patron

Thank you to those who support me via my Paypal account: rikwrybac@yahoo.com. The government doesn't read my poetry. You do. Out of over 400 poems here on this blog by me, I hope you find one or more you like. Thank you for my readers. Thank you for your comments.

Sunday, June 21, 2015

Vladimir Putin: In Love with Songs




There are days when I miss the old words
the old songs from my youth
when we showed the West what
Russia could do in space
with our huge land
with the strength of our resolve

Even now I often start my day
with singing the old Soviet Anthem
and The Internationale
They're better than any old western anthem
and that horror The Star Spangled Banner
It's all about war and bombs bursting
and it can't be sung because of its range
If only I could get the West to hear the words
and hum the melodies I whistle on the way
to meetings with my subordinates
and a few ordinary citizens 

          Arise ye workers from your slumbers
            Arise ye prisoners of want
            For reason in revolt now thunders
           And at last ends the age of cant.
           Away with all your superstitions
           Servile masses arise, arise
           We’ll change henceforth the old tradition
           And spurn the dust to win the prize.

           Refrain: 
           So comrades, come rally
           And the last fight let us face
           The Internationale unites the human race.

I remember all that leather and polish
as we knocked on the doors of the fallen
those who failed to get the message
who turned against our Mother
The State! The State!
We cry for you Mother
so fun to see our enemies faces explode
on the floor and their knelt in their shame

           United forever in friendship and labor,
           Our mighty republics will ever endure.
           The Great Soviet Union will live through the ages.
           The dream of a people their fortress secure.

          Long live our Soviet motherland,
          Built by the people's mighty hand.
          Long live our people, united and free.
          Strong in our friendship tried by fire.
          Long may our crimson flag inspire,
          Shining in glory for all men to see.

Oh yes
my anthems soar for me as I think of my people
and their hopes and desires
Screw Marx and Lenin
I love my limousines and all the goodies
I get to own
but the songs
the songs of my youth and spirit
they are all about the power of people
the will of people to mold
their unified futures
together in search of a perfect world
where all get a small share
and I get most of it




Barry G. Wick

No comments: