Patron

Thank you to those who support me via my Paypal account: rikwrybac@yahoo.com. The government doesn't read my poetry. You do. Out of over 560 poems here on this blog by me, I hope you find one or more you like. Thank you for my readers. Thank you for your comments.

Saturday, October 12, 2024

Mirrors

Mirrors

Across this continent
Through all the rooms
I have traveled
Mirrors have followed me
As I change my hair
While eyelids drooped
Scars formed to hide
Small broken bones
The cheeks arose and feel
As weight gain and loss
Stretched and sagged

Will all these Mirrors
Gather to wish me good-bye
Or will they hold my image
Until they, too, are broken
Failing to reflect their own
Passage into pieces

This day begins in reflection
Of all the mirrors that saw
What no one was to see
Just me alone staring at it
These old friends looking
At the progression of days
With each other in light
From the days of no beard
To reddened teenage skin
Then the wrinkles of age
Breaking each other down

Some of these mirrors
I shared with a wife
And little children 
Discovering the silvered glass
Some lovers and friends
Saw themselves beside me

These eyes become smokey
As I wipe the steam away
Only to discover the moisture
Was in my eyes
Hiding what I didn't see
The tears of the forgotten 
I hurt or the hurt I felt
So sees the mirror
An old friend looking at me
Through each tired beginning
That shakes off the night

Barry G. Wick





No comments: