Patron

Thank you to those who support me via my Paypal account: rikwrybac@yahoo.com. The government doesn't read my poetry. You do. Out of over 560 poems here on this blog by me, I hope you find one or more you like. Thank you for my readers. Thank you for your comments.

Monday, August 10, 2026

The Limited Life

The Limited Life

It was a Life Magazine
From June of 1964
Governor Scranton on the cover
The article about homosexuals
That opened my eyes
And closed my life

I am 12 years old
I know I am different
I could be arrested
Shame my family

This founded my thoughts
For years
Even in college I couldn't
Tell my student shrink
Who and what I was
On days the gay group
Met at a religious house
On campus
I'd walk outside back and forth
Until the fall of 1972
Following a summer
At a cabin with Mike
Just one week of love
And discovery

Stonewall never made the news
In my hometown
Even with my college experiences
Falling in love and rejecting it
Denial upon denial
Hurting others for years
Hurting those who loved me
Wanting acceptance
Wanting real love

Now comes the loneliness 
Of old age
Alone nearer the end
A heart
Still full of shame
No one to talk to
No one to love
Just words to others
Just words

My children could never
Understand this emptiness
Or at least
I hope not
But for some of them
I'm nothing
Just someone walking
In the desert
Waiting for that pile
Of bones and meat
And buzzards
Real buzzards

Barry G. Wick

No comments: