Patron

Thank you to those who support me via my Paypal account: rikwrybac@yahoo.com. The government doesn't read my poetry. You do. Out of over 400 poems here on this blog by me, I hope you find one or more you like. Thank you for my readers. Thank you for your comments.

Thursday, May 4, 2023

[poem]

Your last breaths seemed painful to me
I am certain of your last thoughts
As mine may be the same as I say good-bye 
to the world of pain I created

Speaking to you like Neruda speaks
To his mother would not be possible
I am tired beyond those black years
When I constantly cared for you

I did tell you I loved you as I put
My flabby arm around you that you
Could not put around me like your sister
Who showed me affection I missed

Your mother's words came to me
In missed caresses as you explained
Her cold Norwegian upbringing 
And the distance between you and her

What did you get from her in those
Years of vocalizing in Dakota's enclaves
As I remember her in her last year's
I felt little warmth in my failed heart

These vacancies have passed down
To my children and to me doubly
In these years of distance and emptiness
That have been left to me unpolished

Barry G. Wick





1 comment:

Mike Forrette said...

Dear Barry,
Candace called to tell me about your beautiful and haunting poem. Such an honest poem. Such beautiful writing.

Thank you for not giving up. The world really does need you, the Seventh generation will need you.

You are an inspiration to all of us, to me, another poet trying to make sense of the world.

Take care, my friend. Thank you for the beautiful poem.